Sunday, April 15, 2012

Kalimar A (Welmy 2)

Kalimar A (Welmy 2)Perhaps my favorite all time triplet Zonefocus (Viewfinder) camera is my Kalimar A.  The Terionon ƒ/3.5 45mm lens is just fantastic.  The 45mm is ALMOST identical to the total coverage area of the 35mm frame, which is 43.3mm diagonal, but not quite as close as the Kodak Signet 35c's 44mm ƒ/3.5 lens.

Focusing is, actually, able to be as close as 2.5', although not marked on the ring.  I have focused this close before, and actually a touch closer at ƒ/16.  Image came out very sharp, and I was quite surprised at how close you can actually focus this camera, considering it does not have parallax correction marks in the viewfinder for close focusing.  Just means you have to have it slightly UP tilted when framing the shot.

The first roll of film I put through this, more than a year ago, had left me slightly disenchanted with the camera.  I spent a few hours cleaning this camera up, from cleaning the lenses and viewfinder, to adjusting the focusing and polishing the metal.
Needless to say, I didn't use it much after that.  I decided to give it a second chance.  After all, what is the point to having a functional shelf-queen, instead of having a camera that is fully functional, and still looks good?
Bobcat Front End LoaderI will continue to use this camera for both colour and B&W film, and just MIGHT put a roll of chrome through this, and why not?  With 100F Sensia that I got or cheap, I will most likely be doing that soon.

There is a fair bit of construction going on near my work, although the street construction has started to wrap up for the time being, so I decided to visit a couple of the locales that are being dug up and changed.  Near the railway with the upgraded GO line being installed, there is a fair bit of neat things to photograph, such as this little Bobcat 350.
I remember driving one of these years ago when I worked as a labourer on a couple construction sites, and what incredible fun it really is!

Techspecs;
Kalimar A 35mm Viewfinder Camera
3-Element Cooke Triplet Terionon 45mm ƒ/3.5 Lens
4-speed Vario Leaf shutter 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/200 +B
Frame Size 36mm X 24mm
Double Exposure Protection
Flash M-Sync PC Port (No X-SYNC but I have used a flash with this with no problem)

No comments:

Post a Comment